Other Interests - Computers
Since I was a kid with my first Apple IIe, I've been very interested in computers. From a very early age I learned of the gaming capabilities - Joust, Oregon Trail, Sea Dragon and others. When I eventually outgrew the Apple, I moved on to a Packard Bell 386sx , which I eventually began to upgrade (well, I had no cars/trucks back then!). Since then, I've gone through a 486 and a plethora of Pentium-based computers.
As you can see, the background in theses pictures are rather dated. I have kicked off some home renovations, including the build of a proper home office. Once I've finished, I'll make some updates, but in the meantime, here is my working space:
So, you can see the computer, somewhat, from there... While not a rocket ship, she definitely has the juice to get the job done. My existing setup is as follows:
- Asus P5KC Motherboard, paired with a Core2Duo E6750 (2.66GHz, overclocked to 3.2GHz)
- 2x2GB of PC6400 RAM (4GB total)
- 1x Western Digital 640GB SATA hard drives for primary (WD6401AALS)
- 2x Western Digital 320GB SATA hard drives for storage (WD3200AAKS)
- Aspire X-Cruiser Case (gauges on front for Fan Speed, Temp, and VU) and an Antec NeoPower 650W power supply
- Cooling through 2x80mm intake fans (up front), 1x80mm exhaust (chimney), and 1x120mm exhaust fan (rear). All fans contain 4 blue LEDs each.
- A pair of cold cathode bars, added post picture below (will update soon)
- Video through NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT with 512MB RAM and NEC 1712
- LG DL DVD Writer, multi card reader, and other various components
- Sound through an Altec Lansing 2.1 setup
This box gets the job done and looks pretty sweet, too! ;) I've got some more ideas to improve cooling, and perhaps a more aggressive overclock... See below for some pictures of my rig (lights on/ off):